Welcome to my blog.

Welcome to my blog.

Wednesday 2 February 2011

A new lodger and sharks!

It was looking really good for stitching in the evenings this week for me. Notice the word 'WAS'.

I don't think it's going to work out as well as I thought though. My stitching is going to be a bit on and off at the moment.
You see, I have a new lodger and she's taking up ALOT of my time right now.

One of the women where Steve works bought her two daughters a hamster each. One has a chinese hamster and the other a 'russian'. The chinese hamster is so docile and tame but the russian (actually a winter white type) is far from tame! Infact she's pretty wild.

She hisses and growls and they can't pick her up at all.
Well this made the poor daughter naturally upset and she wanted her mum to exchange her hamster for one like her little sister, but her mum says, no, pets are not disposable.
So they share the chinese and just care for the russian.

Well this really upset me and I wanted to help them. So on Monday night we went up and brought Saskia home with us to try and tame her for them.
She looks like butter wouldn't melt in that squeeky little mouth, but believe me, you wouldn't want your finger too near! Ha,ha.
So far we've played 'Hiss and growl', 'Nip when they're least expecting it' and 'Chase around the cage' but I think we're already making progress!
We can pick her up, although she hates it and trys to escape and nip us, but she is definitely calmer already.

So it's not going to be easy, but with alot of handling and work, I think she might be going home a different hamster!  I hope so anyhow.

I took Joe to the local Aquaria yesterday to meet up with his friend (both of them are home schooled) and his mum. The boys had a great time and being there when it was quiet, just the two of them, they got to feed the sharks, which they really enjoyed!
I tried to get a picture on my phone, but it is a dark area. Gives you an idea though.
They look like they're going spear fishing, but I promise they were feeding them, lol!

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I laugh at your "hiss and growl" play with the russian hamster! She's so cute one will not think she hisses :-D

    I know you can do it Kim! Go go go! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Toni, but it's been more like ... Ow, ow, ouch! haha. :)
    She is improving though and I managed to get a little stitching time last night, so all is good!
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a message. I really appreciate it.
:)