Welcome to my blog.

Welcome to my blog.

Monday 14 March 2011

Oh Wow!

I forgot to show you the threads I got awhile back, so I took a quick picture on my phone this morning while it was in my mind.

I got these off ebay as one lot. £2.99 including postage, so I was really pleased with that.
Perle # 5.


These also were a lot I got from ebay, these came to around £3.20 as I remember including postage.
10 balls of perle # 5 and 2 of perle # 8.

I wanted them purely for practicing hardanger designs with, so I was happy to be able to get them cheaper.

Now to other news, very WOW! type news actually.
Well first off, a Lilac rose update I think.
Due to the 'wow' news I have for you, I got a little sudetracked from my poor rose over the weekend. I had hoped to finish it and probably would have in the normal way of things.
Still the rose itself is finished, so just the stem and leaves to go now.


I don't like the white on it so far, I wish they'd done a lighter lilac.
I like the rose on the picture of the design though, so I'm hoping that once the greens are in, it will show the white parts off better.
More progress on this soon!!
:)

Now, for the news!

This weekend Steve has bought me the most amazing present.  I've been a little down on myself for some years now and it's only recently that I've made the effort to accept myself as I am and to pull myself back to the 'me' I used to be, years ago. and I'm really starting to feel better already.
So this weekend he took me out and bought me a SEWING MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have been so overwhelmed by this.

When we first got married I had an old one given to me and a friend started to teach me to use it. Well I wanted to make all sorts with it, cushions and table cloths, doilies, things for the home.
The machine was old and complicated and I couldn't really get to grips with it, So I decided I was stupid and useless and confined it to the attic.
I ended up giving it away.  :(   I always wanted to try again, but didn't have the confidence in myself, plus it's the expense if you don't get on with it.

This weekend though, Steve says he felt I was making such efforts recently and trying so hard with myself, he wanted me to have something special and so here it is!!!


He'll be working a week on call now to pay for this.
I'm SO grateful to him, but also terrified I won't be able to learn it. I've been looking around the internet trying to find simple instructions, in the hopes I'll be able to produce something good!


My mum was so excited for me when she heard that she got me a box of assorted threads for the machine AND a bag to keep everything in, as the machine comes with a little dust cover only.

Everything fits so easily, with a little room to spare even and the pocket at the front take the foot and cable, but there is still room in there as well.

This is it all packed away.

I feel SO spoilt! I've been quite tearful at their kindness and so now just want to learn to use it.
I want to make some pretty table covers and cushions and things for the home.

I haven't even been able to try it yet as I have no fabric, LOL.
I'm going to cut up some old curtains today though, to practice on and hopefully then I'll be able to go round the charity shops and pick up some bargain material that I can transform!
:)

If any of you know any good 'idiot proof' tutorials, I'd be really grateful.

I hope you don't mind, I just wanted to share my excitement over this with you all.
:) :) :)

7 comments:

  1. I totally understand the WOW sewing machine! thing, I recently bought one myself and I'm so excited to try it out hehe!

    I used to be pretty nifty on the sewing machine but feel like I've forgotten everything but can't wait to get stuck in again, keep us updated as to how you get on with it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so pleased for you - you deserve it!
    See if you can get Debbie Shore's dvd off e-bay, it shows so many easy things to make.
    Make sure you show us what you make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely stash. .. and what a great pressie from your hubby and threads from your mum. Enjoy practicing with yor sewing machine,and if like me , with my Hardanger , you make mistakes, it's a great learning curve :)you should have seen the mess I was in this afternoon!!!!! Oh, and your lilac rose looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sure is "wow" news.. very happy for you! Good luck with learning how to use it, I'm sure you'll be an expert in no time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kim, threads, threads, threads! Can you tell I'm addicted to them! I'm drooling as of now. And how sweet of Steve and your Mum. Last year, I was contemplating on learning how to sew, but crochet got the better of me, but still, it's in my list of things to do/learn. I will try to look for tutorials and will link them to you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much everyone! (((HUGS)))
    You're all SO kind! :)

    I'm actually planning to try it out today. AT LAST! :) So exciting. :) :) :)

    I have some bits of material passed onto me from my mum and her neighbour to use for practice, so let's see what happens... EEK!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic gift! I am sure you will manage very well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a message. I really appreciate it.
:)