Welcome to my blog.

Welcome to my blog.

Tuesday 17 June 2014

Cushions and interchangeables

Honestly, life is so busy right now, I just hardly get any time to myself! lol

Today I took my youngest son for his orthadontic appointment and so what with the usual discomfort of having his braces tightened and the fact he has a bad cold right now, he isn't feeling up to doing much, so I'm taking the chance to hop on here and update things a bit.

:)

I remembered to take some pics of the cushions, which sadly are taking forever seeing as I can't get sat to them much.
I haven't got all the buttons sewn on yet but they're done apart from that.

So with the first one, I did a rectangle of granny stripe and then sewed it together with a flap over fastening. I put a small ruffle round in cream.


I can't decide whether to add the ruffle down the sides as well. What do you think??

For this next one, I made two panels, then crocheted them together, which I felt was a nicer finish than the sewn together one above. I then made a shell border in cream. The opening side for this has the shell border on both parts, so that it doesn't matter which way it faces and there will be maybe 3 small buttons to fasten closed.


I keep wanting to put some flowers on as a decoration but I just know that with my family laying all over them they'll just end up looking a crushed mess!! lol

Last year I was given the gift of some money to get something I really wanted. Well I hadn't used it but for awhile now I've been thinking about getting some tunisian crochet hooks as I had a brief try of it, just the simple stitch and really liked it.

Well then I thought about the interchangeable knitting needles I have, which I love to use and wondered if it would be more useful to get something similar in crochet hooks, rather than buy a set of tunisian and then need something bigger if I decided to do a throw or something in that style.

So after looking at many reviews and after debating with myself for awhile, I decided to go for it and ordered these!!


Amazingly they arrived just as I was about to start the next cushion so I thought I would make it a panel cushion again in stripes but this time, I could use my new hooks and make the cushion with them while also practising some tunisian stitches at the same time, lol

So the first stripe (pink) is tunisian simple stitch, then then second one is a twisted purl stitch and the green stripe I'm working on at the moment is a honeycomb stitch, which I think is really pretty.


I'll let you see it as it progresses more of course but that's it so far.

Oh, and here's a look at the hooks and as you can see you also get a little pack with the cables and connectors in.


The missing one is the one I'm using on the cushion at the moment.

So far I love them!!
I've never used a wooden hook before, only ever the metal/aluminium ones, so it was all very new to me and apart from worrying it would snap too easily, which so far it hasn't, I'm really comfy with them already.
It was kind of strange at first though, trying to manoeuvre this suddenly long hook with a cable and stopper attached, but I'm feeling ok with them I think.
It was strange picking up a normal sized hook after though, haha.

Anyhow, that's my quick update, hope you are all well and enjoying this rare lovely weather!!

Take care!!

:)

10 comments:

  1. I think your cushions look great just as they are! My fav is the one in the second photo. It's so pretty with the flower in the middle and I really like those colors together. :) Ohhh those hooks look so delightful! Now you can use the same cords for the knitting needles as the crochet hooks....very clever! :)

    Wishing you a most lovely day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty cushions Kim and I love your new crochet hooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lesley, I'm really enjoying using them
      :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, I think the cushions look great!

    I usually tend to go for aluminum hooks but it's always great to try something new. Glad you're liking the wooden ones so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn,
      I prefer aluminium myself but I'm glad to say, these are comfy to use as well.
      Thanks for dropping by my blog.
      I did go over to yours as well but I couldn't work out how to comment.
      I'm so untechy.
      >_<

      Delete
  4. My dear Sis!

    Such lovely cushions and I love the second one.

    Your crochet hook set is pretty. They are from Knitpicks, right? I am eyeing their Harmony needle set, and I remember they have the same material as your crochet hooks.

    Life is so hectic Sis that I rarely go blogging and also have very little time to checks the blogs.

    I hope all of you are well and healthy.

    Miss you sis! Take care always.

    Lots of love and hugs,
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Toni!!!
      I'm missing you loads, we must get our email sorted out so we can chat again.
      These hooks are the knit pro symfonie ones.
      I'm loving them!!

      Lots of love and hugs
      :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Kim, I must have missed this post somehow back in June. Your cushions are lovely, I have just ordered 10 new cushion pads to replace some rather worn out ones in my home. So cushions are on my to-do list at the moment.
    I have never tried Tunisian crochet and I like the way your new interchangeable hooks are working on the new cushion. It is such a good idea to do your research before leaping in and purchasing something new to you and your new set of Tunisian interchangeables really look the business.
    Thanks for all your visits to my blog, I also have a second blog now which I am using to document new crafts I am currently trying out.
    Have a good day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda
      I have just this morning worked out how to reply individually to comments so from now I can actually reply to anything that's asked or said!
      I'm enjoying both your blogs now!!

      :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a message. I really appreciate it.
:)